Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My poor Nikki!

Well my poor Nikki is very sick. OVer the weekend Kevin said she was hiding in corners shaking alot, which she has done before when I am away. Come Tuesday I noticed she didn't stop shaking and something was not quite right. So I brought her into the vet.
The vet said it looked like it was her spine and gave her a shot of anti-inflammatory and said she should improve if this is the problem.
SO come today, she was still not quite herself and she wouldn't do anything when she went out this am. Come lunch time when I took her out again I noticed she could barely walk. She was hunched over, and she was stumbling alot and walking as if she was moving sideways.
I called the vet back they told me to bring her in. I drop Andrew off at the deli (b/c my parents were busy) and I go up there. The vets exact words "this is not good" She was showing severe signs of neurolagical deficit :( She recommended seeing a specialist for possible surgery
So, we head up to the specialist and by this time she can't walk at all, she is almost completely paralyzed, (it was heartbreaking!!!!)We left her there this evening they gave her an MRI and confirmed what was suspected taht she basically had a herniated disc in her back.
Apparently little dogs are somewhat prone to this. He expalined the whole thing I don't feel like getting into it.
So $3500 later, she just got out of surgery about an hour ago. There was a significant amount of herniation and some bruising to her spinal cord. But her prognosis looks good they said b/c we got it early.
We are looking at a 2-3 month recovery and it is going to be a lot of work!
We had no other choice. Fortunately they have a credit plan that we were approved for. But I basically have not stopped crying all day from this. She is my baby girl, I miss her she has to stay in the hospital for about 5 days.
I will keep you all posted.

1 comments:

tanya or MOM said...

I am glad that they where able to help her!